How to avoid scams
Here at Bluebird Care Northallerton, Thirsk and Catterick, keeping our customers safe and happy at home is our number one priority.
Unfortuately, there will be times where the elderly and vulnerable are targeted by criminals as the victims of fraud and scams. Often this is either via cold calling, telephone scams or internet banking fraud.
North Yorkshire Police shared the following warning message on to their Facebook profile:
"Make sure your loved ones are aware
We're reminding residents to remain vigilant to doorstep scams and anybody who turns up at your door unannounced.
The warning comes since we’ve been made aware of three recent cases of suspected bogus roofers targeting the elderly and vulnerable in Harrogate, and another seven reported just over the border in Wetherby, Middlesbrough and Stockton.
An investigation has been launched and officers are also looking into whether these potential scams are linked to another six reported to us at the end of last year, of which four were in York and two across the border in Nunthorpe, Middlesbrough.
Typically, in cases like these, a bogus tradesperson will ‘cold call’ a victim by turning up on their doorstep unannounced and offering to clean their guttering for a small sum.
However, the trickster will claim to the victim that they have found extensive damage to their roof requiring immediate attention.
They may even show the victim rotten wood and felt, convincing the victim that it has come from their roof.
In reality, the rotten wood and felt will have been brought in by the roofer as part of the elaborate deceit designed to con the victim into agreeing expensive and unnecessary roofing work that they don’t need.
Remember - and please also make your loved ones aware:
- Never allow cold callers to carry out work on your property. If you require repair work on your property, obtain three quotes from reputable tradesperson. By law, they must inform you of your right to cancel within 14 days and should not commence the work within the 14-day cancellation period.
- Do not allow yourself to be pressured into allowing work to be done by cold callers. If somebody turns up at your door unannounced, or is acting suspiciously, please do not hand over any money. Say you are not interested, lock the door, and call someone you trust.
- Look out for your loved ones and neighbours - especially anyone who is elderly, lives alone or is having any work carried out on their property that looks suspicious – fraudsters are persuasive, persistent and can often prey on the most vulnerable in our communities.
- If you believe that you or someone that know has been targeted by rogue tradespeople, please use the ‘Report it’ link on our website. You can also contact North Yorkshire Police on 101 quoting reference number 12180015933 or North Yorkshire Trading Standards on 0808 223 1133"
Here at Bluebird Care Northallerton, Thirsk and Catterick we ensure that our customers well-being is taken care of, including their physical, mental and emotional well-being.
*Source of information: North Yorkshire Police Facebook Page*
How to find the right care for you or your relative
1. Find your local office
Bluebird Care delivers care from locally based offices, find yours to start your care journey today.
2. Get in touch with us
Fill in our call back form or give us a call to find out how we can help you.
We’ll come out to you to find out what you or your loved one needs to help stay independent at home.
4. Care team chosen & care starts
You'll be cared for by our specially trained team to support you to remain at home for as long as possible.