Learning Disabilities Support
We at Bluebird Care Leicester have a dedicated team that caters for support to those with a learning disabilty
We are committed to providing services to people with learning difficulties that fully embrace the government white paper ‘ Valuing people, a new strategy for the 21st century’ .
This is the first White Paper on learning disability for thirty years and sets out an ambitious and challenging programme of action for improving services
The proposals in the White Paper are based on four key principles:
- civil rights
Legislation which confers rights on all citizens, including the Human Rights Act 1998 and the Disability Discrimination Act 1995, applies equally to all people with learning disabilities,
and the Disability Rights Commission will work for people with learning disabilities.
Valuing People takes a life-long approach, beginning with an integrated approach to services for disabled children and their families and then providing new opportunities for a full and purposeful adult life.
It has cross-Government backing and its proposals are intended to result in improvements in education, social services, health, employment, housing and support for people with learning disabilities and their families and carers.
Our services provide a clear, person centred pathway to independence and actively promote service users rights to inform and influence in all aspects of their lives.
All of our autism specific services reflect the themes in the government white paper ‘Back on Track’ and respond to the specific individual needs of each service users.
Bluebird Care (Leicester)aims to utilise The SPELL framework which recognizes the individual and unique needs of each service user with ASD and emphasizes that planning and intervention be organized on this basis.
The SPELL framework for understanding and responding to the needs of children and adults on the autism spectrum developed through evidence based practice. The framework is useful in identifying underlying issues, reducing the disabling effects of the condition and providing a cornerstone for communication.
We aim for all our staff to receive training on Autistic Spectrum Disorder and we aim to be working towards accreditation with the national autistic society in the future.
What Learning Disabilty Support do we provide?
Benefits of Learning Disability Support with Bluebird Care Leicester
- Our outcome-based person-centred support planning will make the induvial and their family the focal point of any support commissioned. At Bluebird Care Leicester, we understand that independence and choice are paramount for people with a Learning disability and can lead the way to sustained progress in being a part of the community.
- Support staff are hand-picked for their knowledge and experience to enhance the quality of life in an individual’s own space, family and their environment. Patience and empathy are qualities that our staff are known for and the ethos we impart to all members of our support team.
- Where there are specific conditions we provide the necessary training for staff to be better equipped to support and ultimately plan a journey to the desired outcome. This can be in-house from the experience within our management team or we can access to charities such as MENCAP, CHANGE and Liveabiltiy and training hubs that specialise in specific training such as Asperger Syndrome or Pervasive Developmental Disorder.
- Access to knowledge of the local community is also essential for the development and achievement of desired outcomes. Leicester and the surrounding county has a wide array of activities and places of interest such as open spaces, museums day centres and clubs that can be accessed easily and cheaply. Support staff have a good knowledge of what’s on offer nearby of that can be easily reached.
- Post the Covid Pandemic, Bluebird Care Leicester aims to resume get-togethers once a month where our support clients can have access activities such as a sensory area with sounds, smells and visual stimuli as well as a social aspect aided by refreshments.
- Bluebird Care Leicester is an organisation that is recognised as a provider of support for those with Learning Disabilities by Leicester City Council and is registered with the Care Quality Commission for providing services across the autism spectrum.