Funding Care At Home

Published: 22/05/2019

Here are a few of the questions and answers we get asked a lot regarding Funding Care at Home.

Here are a few of the questions and answers we get asked a lot regarding Funding Care at Home.

Q. My dad is 79, lives alone and now needs some help in the mornings getting out of bed, having a wash, getting dressed and having some breakfast. He is on a limited income so can he get any help?

A. Leeds Adult Social Care ( Address: Merrion House, 110 Merrion Centre, Leeds LS2 8QB

Phone: 0113 222 4401) will be able to advise you on what assistance is available from the local authority. Social Services do a fantastic job in providing care for those in need but with government cut backs and the increasing numbers of older people needing care, budgets are being squeezed. Instead of receiving care directly from Social Services your father may be able to receive a Direct Payment, which he can use to fund his own care from a quality independent home care provider of his choice. However, the Direct Payment may not cover all the fees of the provider and a financial top-up may be required.

Also, your father may well be entitled to claim Attendance Allowance which is not means tested and fairly easy to apply for. Go to You are eligible if you are over 65 and need help caring for yourself. There is an Attendance Allowance helpline Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm Telephone: 0345 605 6055 Textphone: 0345 604 5312


Q. I am an 86 year old lady and a home owner. After looking into my entitlements I am not eligible for any government help with paying for my care. What can I do?

A. Financial planning in later life is very important and I would strongly recommend that you seek independent expert advice from an accredited Independent Financial Advisor who specialises in this area.                                                                                                                                                                     Back in the 1970’s and 1980’s Equity release gained a poor reputation. However, it is now much better regulated and the money released can help pay for care at home and for adaptions around the house to make it easier to get around and continue to do things for yourself. A good home care provider should also be able to point you towards a reputable independent equity release specialist. The Financial Services Authority have a helpful factsheet available: .                                           FSA Consumer Helpline (including someone representing a consumer) Tel: 0845 606 1234