Checklist for safety in the home
At Bluebird Care Coventry, we’re dedicated to making sure that our customers stay safe and secure within their own homes. We’ve created the following checklist to help you to make your home comfortable and safe.
Choose the points which apply to you so that you can have a safe home environment for complete peace of mind.
In the bathroom
By their very nature, bathrooms can present a number of hazards which lead to falls. You can help prevent these by:
- Installing guard rails and grab bars on walls, bathtubs and shower stalls.
- Using rubber non-slip mats in the bath and shower.
- Using a shower gel dispenser rather than bars of soap.
- Using a shower chair in the case of mobility issues.
- Making sure that all items are within easy reach.
- Keeping the bathroom well lit.
- Installing large mirrors at the correct height.
In the bedroom
- Keep bedrooms tidy and clutter free.
- Ensure that you have a telephone and torch within reach of the bed.
- Install nightlights along the route from your bedroom to bathroom.
- Use a raised mattress to make getting in and out of bed easier.
- Keep your bedroom well lit.
In the living area
- Arrange furniture neatly and cover any sharp corners. Ensure there is plenty of space between furniture allowing for a clear path.
- Keep the room well lit.
- Use glow in the dark light switches.
- Use an aid such as Alexa to turn on lights using your voice.
- Always make sure that cords and electrical cables are tidied away.
- Secure rugs and carpets.
- Keep flooring in good condition.
- Keep a telephone within reach.
In the kitchen
- Always clean up any spills immediately.
- Store dishes, pots and pans within easy reach.
- Keep the room well lit.
- Use a sturdy step stool for difficult to reach items. Ensure grab rails are secure an in place where needed.
- Use equipment which is kept maintained.
On the stairs
- Always make sure that your stairway is well lit.
- Ensure that stair carpets are fitted securely.
- Install a hand rail or stair-lift.
- Always make sure that stairways are clutter free.
- Keep an eye out for loose threads which may cause a fall.
- Avoid deep pile carpets which may hide obstacles.
- Where possible use carpets in a light solid colour and avoid patterns
- Use glow strips to illuminate each step and thresholds.
How to find the right care for you or your relative
1. Find your local office
Bluebird Care delivers care from locally based offices, find yours to start your care journey today.
2. Get in touch with us
Fill in our call back form or give us a call to find out how we can help you.
We’ll come out to you to find out what you or your loved one needs to help stay independent at home.
4. Care team chosen & care starts
You'll be cared for by our specially trained team to support you to remain at home for as long as possible.