Home safety checklist
Falls are often due to hazards that are easy to fix once we are aware of them.
Bluebird Care has developed a home safety checklist to help you take care at home by identifying potential risks.
This list identifies most of the common hazards that could cause falls. Homes come in all manner of shapes and sizes. If something does not apply to your home, move on to the next question. For example, if you live in a flat or bungalow, questions relating to stairs may not apply to you. We suggest you print the home safety checklist and fill it in as you look around your home by entering a tick or cross against each item.
- Grab bars are on the bathroom walls, near the toilet or along the bathtub or shower
- A slip-resistant rug is next to bathtub or shower
- A mounted or suction liquid soap dispenser is on the bathtub/shower wall
- A non-slip mat is on the bathtub/shower floor
- A sturdy plastic seat (shower chair) is placed in the bathtub or shower
- There is a raised toilet seat or a toilet seat with armrests to maintain balance getting on or off the toilet
- An extra long mirror is over the sink so it can be used when sitting
- Items for washing and drying are within easy reach
- The bathroom is well lit
- Clutter is cleared from the floor so that nothing is in the way
- A lamp, torch and telephone are within easy reach near the bed
- Nightlights are placed along the path from the bedroom to the bathroom
- A raised mattress is available to get in and out of bed easily
- The bedroom is well lit
Living Area Safety
- Furniture is arranged to create clear paths between rooms
- Low coffee tables, magazine racks, footrests, and plants are removed from pathways in rooms used
- Light switches are easily accessible at entrances to rooms
- Glow in the dark switches or sound-activated lamps are available
- Loose rugs are secured with double faced tape or slip resistant backing.
- Electric appliance and telephone cords are out of your way but not put under rugs
- There are no wobbly chairs or tables which can be leaned upon
- Rugs are secured on concrete, ceramic or marble floors
- There are no loose wood floorboards that need repair
- Furniture is firm, high and has armrests to assist in standing
- A cordless phone is close by so there is no danger of hurrying to reach the phone
- There are no loose trailing wires or other tripping hazards
- Living and dining rooms are well lit
- There are no loose rugs or mats
- There is no liquid, grease or food spilled on the floor that needs to be cleaned up
- Food, dishes and cooking equipment are stored at an easy-to-reach, waist high level
- A step stool with a handrail is available to reach upper cabinets
- Non-skid floor wax has been used on the floor
- A counter-top toaster is available to avoid leaning over to or trying to reach an oven
- The kitchen is well lit
- Stairways are well lit
- Floor coverings are in good repair and are securely fixed
- Stairways have a strong handrail, preferably on both sides
How to find the right care for you or your relative
Bluebird Care delivers care from locally based offices, find yours to start your care journey today.
2. Get in touch with us
Fill in our call back form or give us a call to find out how we can help you.
We’ll come out to you to find out what you or your loved one needs to help stay independent at home.
4. Care team chosen & care starts
You'll be cared for by our specially trained team to support you to remain at home for as long as possible.
Find care near you
Enter your city or postcode below to find your local office