Motor neurone disease (MND) care
MND is a life changing illness. At Bluebird Care we understand the emotional and practical challenges of living with MND.
We are here to provide you and your family with individually tailored care and support to help you manage these changes well, without needing to move to a care home.
Together we create a personalised care and support plan to help you achieve your specific goals. We talk to you about what is important in your life and your personal needs and preferences Our dedicated staff team are fully trained to provide a wide range of care and support including:
- A good morning start to your day, with help to wash, dress and eat breakfast
- Support to be involved in activities that are important to you, seeing friends and family, or going for a walk
- Help with practical tasks such as housework, shopping and laundry
- Assistance with taking your medicines and/or ensuring you have a readily available supply
- Preparing nutritious meals and providing the support you need to eat and drink well
- A night time call to get you ready for bed
- 24 hour care service to give carers a short term break or live-in care on a longer term basis so that you don’t need to move to a care home.
What is MND?
MND is a rare disease that currently affects about 5,000 people across the UK. Onset is usually around 60 years of age, but in some cases it affects younger adults or older people. Motor neurones are nerve cells that convey messages from the brain or spinal cord to the muscles. When these cells become damaged the messages cannot get through leading to gradual loss of motor skills, weakness and muscle wasting.
Common symptoms of MND
MND is a progressive life threatening illness. Diagnosis can raise concerns about whether living in a carehome is inevitable. Everyday activities will become increasingly difficult. For example:
- Gripping objects, picking them up or lifting them
- ‘Foot drop’ due to weak ankles
- Walking, sometimes one leg will drag
- Speech may become slurred
- Swallowing so that tube feeding becomes necessary
In 10-15% of cases MND is associated with fronto-temporal dementia.
Support to stay well
There is no known cure for MND, however, treatment and support can alleviate the symptoms and keep you comfortable. Our high quality homecare services aim to provide you with the best care and support so that you can enjoy your life as much as possible without the added stress and expense of moving into a carehome.
For the latest up to date information and advice about MND and support networks visit the MND Association.
*Not all Bluebird Care offices provide this service. Please check with your local office if this service is available.
How to find the right care assistant for you or your relative
Bluebird Care delivers care from locally based offices, find yours to start your care journey today.
2. Get in touch with us
Fill in our call back form or give us a call to find out how we can help you.
We’ll come out to you to find out what you or your loved one needs to help stay independent at home.
4. Care assistant chosen & care starts
You’ll be cared for by one of our specially trained team to support you to remain at home for as long as possible.
Find care near you
Enter your postcode or town below to find your local office