Care Assistant Charlotte Prevents Serious Fire
We have an incredible team of staff and recently Charlotte, who works in the community as a Care Assistant prevented a potentially serious fire in a customer's house and inspired us to start our fire safety campaign.We have an incredible team of staff and recently Charlotte, who works in the community as a Care Assistant prevented a potentially serious fire in a customer's house and inspired us to start our fire safety campaign.
Charlotte shares a bit of her experience here:
My family always recommended a career in care and I now go to work every day thinking of how proud it would make my nan. It is so rewarding looking after people in their own homes.
I visited my first customer in Hastings and when I opened the door, there was a really funny smell coming from the kitchen. I can't really describe it but it definitely smelt like burning.
I went into the kitchen and the whole room was full of smoke as the customer had left the hob on under an empty saucepan! I instinctively turned off the hob, put the saucepan outside and called the office to let them know about the incident.
I then went to check the smoke alarm (as it had not gone off) and found that it was not working. As my customer has dementia, she would have been in even greater danger had I not visited that morning!
Charlene has been spending her time visiting all of our customers to test their smoke alarms and carry out a fire risk assessment of the home.
Where new batteries are required we are replacing these for free and where there is the need for additional assessment, we have been making referrals to our local fire station who have also visited to carry out some training with our team.
Registered Manager Karen explained:
This is an excellent example of going above and beyond the call of duty and Charlotte potentially saved our customers life on that day.
We now have a very strong relationship with our local fire station and are working closely with them for all current and new customers to ensure they remain safe.