Bluebird Care Docklands, Stratford & Wapping supports Stress Awareness Month - April 2020
Local homecare provider Bluebird Care Docklands, Stratford & Wapping is supporting April’s Stress Awareness Month to help support your mental health during the Coronavirus outbreak.
In 2018, an online study of 4,619 respondents was conducted by The Mental Health Foundation. The study found that 74% of adults in the UK felt so stressed at times over the previous year, that they felt overwhelmed and unable to cope.
Fast forward 2 years and the whole world has changed due of the outbreak of the Coronavirus. These life changes may cause you to feel even more stressed than usual. The NHS states that you may also feel worried, anxious, lonely, bored, sad and frustrated. Local homecare provider Bluebird Care Docklands, Stratford & Wapping is supporting April’s Stress Awareness Month to help support your mental health during the Coronavirus outbreak.
It’s important to step back, take a moment and breath! To understand that this is a temporary situation and these difficult times will pass.
Whilst staying at home and maintaining a social distance, there are ways to reduce stress and maintain your mental health wellbeing:
10 tips to reduce stress:
1. Stay connected with people – maintain a relationship with your loved ones.
2. Stay on top of your feelings - talk about your feelings with others that you trust. Or try using helplines.
3. Self-care – take time to do something nice for yourself.
4. Look after your body – it is easy to fall into unhealthy habits during difficult times. It is important to eat healthy, keep hydrated and reduce smoking, drugs and alcohol intake.
5. Exercise daily – exercise can increase the hormone serotonin levels in your brain, which in turn boosts your mood, happiness and overall feeling of well-being.
6. Relax – focus on the present, breath and unwind with something that relaxes you. Maybe that could be reading your favourite book, doing a crossword, having a cup of tea, a soothing bath, mediating or doing mindful breathing exercises.
7. Support and help others – helping another could also help you. This could be a phone call to someone who is feeling lonely or even a reach-out text to let someone know that you are thinking of them.
8. Use a credible source of information regarding Coronavirus updates - such as www.gov.uk or the NHS website. There are many inaccurate sources out there, stick to the facts. Maybe only check updates once or twice daily to reduce worrying.
9. Plan your day – regular routines are essential for our health.
10. Maintain regular sleeping patterns – wind down and avoid screens an hour before bedtime.
Anoop Sekhon, Director of Bluebird Care Docklands, Stratford & Wapping, commented:
“In this difficult situation, yes, many things may seem out of our control. But it is important to look after our mental health and reduce stress levels.
Staying at home can feel lonely, so do stay connected with friends, family and others. Talk about any worries with someone who you trust and please take time to unwind, relax and focus on self-care.”
To find more about Stress Awareness Month, please visit: https://www.stress.org.uk/national-stress-awareness-month-2019/
The NHS also has a webpage with tips if you are worried about Coronavirus: https://www.nhs.uk/oneyou/every-mind-matters/coronavirus-covid-19-anxiety-tips/
Bluebird Care is a national provider of care in the home, specialising in working with customers who live with dementia, physical disabilities and many other acute and chronic conditions. Bluebird Care work alongside their customers’ families, social services and the NHS to ensure each person receives the care they need.
Bluebird Care offers a unique service of tailored care visits which range from anything from 30 minutes to full live-in support. As well as personal care they also help with meal preparation, welfare checks, shopping, social trips, visits to the hospital and provide extra support for post-discharge customers.
For more details contact Bluebird Care by calling 0208 519 3886, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, or visiting their website https://www.bluebirdcare.co.uk/docklands-stratford-wapping