Funding of care

Funding of Care

We provide care to a large number of self-funding customers and an increasing number of people who receive funding through Camden Social Services or Camden CCG. Planning and paying for care can be a daunting prospect. We have put together some useful information about the funding of care. 

How do Direct Payments Work?

Direct payments are an easy and convenient way of receiving your personal budget, which is the amount of money you need to pay for your care and support. Direct payments are money payments paid directly to you by Camden Council or Camden CCG (Clinical Commissioning Group), for you to spend on the services of your choice. If you are currently receiving or are eligible for Council or CCG funded support, you have the right to request a direct payment. Instead of having to use the services that Camden choose for you, you can use your direct payment to choose your own services for personal care and assistance, short breaks and even getting funding for equipment. You can spend your direct payment on anything that helps you meet the goals that were agreed in your support plan.

What is an Attendance Allowance? 

If you are 65 or over and have a physical disability (including sensory disability), a mental disability (including learning difficulties) or a disability that is severe enough for you to need help caring for yourself, you are eligible to apply for an Attendance Allowance. Attendance Allowance is paid weekly at two different rates – Lower rate, £60 and Higher rate - £89.60. The funding you receive from the government will depend on the level of support required: 

Funding of Care

Could Equity Release Help me?

Equity release allows you to release the cash locked in your property without the upheaval or expense of moving home. If you are a UK homeowner and aged 55- 95, then you could qualify for an equity release plan. The money you release can be spent in any way you like and what’s more, there are typically no monthly repayments. We work closely with a company called Key Group. They are experts in equity release. Their website is:

What is NHS Continuing Healthcare?

Some people with long-term complex health needs may qualify for free care funded and arranged by the NHS. This is known as NHS continuing healthcare. It is not means tested and a referral has to come from a GP or social worker. The assessment process involved can be complex. An organisation called Beacon provide free independent advice. See their website: or call 0345 548 0300. There is information on the NHS website about continuing healthcare and there is a useful section on the right hand side of the page called Money, work and benefits:


How to arrange care at home with us?

How to find the right care for you or your relative

1. Find your local office

Bluebird Care delivers care from locally based offices, find yours to start your care journey today.

2. Get in touch with us

Fill in our call back form or give us a call to find out how we can help you.

3. Assessment

We’ll come out to you to find out what you or your loved one needs to help stay independent at home.

4. Care team chosen & care starts

You'll be cared for by our specially trained team to support you to remain at home for as long as possible.

Contact Us