Text Size A A A
Quick contact

Send us a message

Enter security code:
 Security code


Useful Information

You are here:    Calderdale   »   Useful Information   »   Q&As: Confused About Home Care?   »   How do I get help for someone who needs Care?
Find your local
Bluebird Care

Latest News

Memory Lane Cafe Newsletter: Winter 2018-19

Please click through to download the Winter Newsletter by Memory Lane Cafe...

Read More

Activity Guide for Calderdale by the Staying Well Project

The Staying Well Project has kindly shared this list of suggestions of things to get involved with in your local community. Please share if you know someone who might benefit.

Read More

How do I get help for someone who needs Care?

Q&As with Shabir Hussain of Bluebird Care Calderdale & Bradford South                 

Today lots of people are able to live in their own homes that in the past would have lived in care homes or nursing homes. The individual may have a disability, suffer from a limiting illness or simply frailties of old age. Due to a combination of advances in medication and pressure on the NHS to make savings; this trend will continue. With this in mind Grapevine Mag has teamed up with Bluebird Care. We will answer your questions covering all aspects of care whether that is receiving care for yourself or getting help for someone you love.


If I need help or someone I know needs help; what do I do?
You have two options. First option is to contact Gateway to Care (01422 393 000 or Gatewaytocare@calderdale.gov.uk) which is a service provided by Calderdale Council. Gateway to Care will ask a social worker to meet with you to discuss your options. The Social Worker will tell you if you qualify for help towards the cost of your care. The Social Worker will have a list of all the Care Providers operating in your area. The second option is to contact a home care company direct and discuss your needs.

What checks do home care companies do on care staff?
Anyone wanting to work in care must be checked against the Police database. This is called a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) which allows employers to decide if the applicant is suitable to work in the care sector. The service also has a list of people who are not allowed to work with children and adults. Care companies check full work history of the applicant and ask for explanations in any gaps. The applicant has to provide at least two references. All applicants have an interview, undertake 4/5 days of training and shadow an experienced care worker for a number of days. This induction period allows a team of experienced colleagues to judge whether the applicant is suitable to work in care.

What training do care companies give to their staff?
Anyone working in care must complete some basic training and show they meet the care standards. Applicants have to show they both understand the theory and demonstrate their ability to put into practice what they have been taught. In addition, to the basic training; care assistants must be trained on specific tasks that they will be required to complete. For example, if the care assistant is required to deal with medication then she must be given specific training on the administration of medication by a suitably trained individual.

Still need more help and guidance? 
Bluebird Care has a wealth of practical experience and expertise – chances are we have assisted with most issues. So please write to Shabir with your questions. No question is too simple or too complicated. Your identity will be protected.
Please write to: Shabir Hussain, Bluebird Care (Calderdale), Hanson Lane Enterprise Centre, Hanson Lane, Halifax, HX1 5PG Or email shabirhussain@bluebirdcare.co.uk.